Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: What to wear?

POINTE 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog: What to wear?
By Brandy Curry 

I used to sort through my closet every morning trying to find the right outfit to convey dance teacher and working professional.  The school I taught at didn't think that wearing a leotard was a proper way of dressing for a High School.  Whenever I taught classes at a private dance studio I wore a leotard and jazz pants, or a leotard, tights and a ballet skirt.  I could not figure out how to dress professional, as the school suggested, and wear comfortable clothes I could move in.  So I went shopping to the following places.  I spent a total of $350 and now my wardrobe is professional, comfortable, and durable.

"DANCE TEACHER FRIENDLY" FASHION GUIDE

  1. JCrew has great cardigans, wrap sweaters, and blazers.  Gives up to 15% off to educators; show your school ID card.
  2. Banana Republic also has great cardigans and blazers.  I like their blouses, and easy pull over dresses.  Gives up to 15% off to educators; show your school ID card
  3. Discount Dance is where I get all of my dance shoes, tights, and leotards.  They give great discounts to Dance Teachers and they have their own rewards program.  See DANCE TEACHER PROGRAM (Read more about their Dance Teacher Program in this post) Ballet and pointe shoes can be expensive so I love that Dance Teachers receive 10% off of purchases.
  4. Lulu Lemon has high quality yoga, running, biking and dance wear.  Very fashion forward and the leggings are a must have.  (Read the care instructions carefully and follow!) 
  5. Lucy is a great place to get workout gear and wear.  I like their hoodies, and soft fabric yoga tees that look great under a blazer.  Great yoga pants for jazz class or in between wear.
  6. Gap Body is not available in every mall, and sometimes larger Gap stores carry their yoga and dance wear items.  They have the best sports bras, tank tops, socks.  And it's all machine washable fabrics.  

KEY WARDROBE PIECES FOR DANCE TEACHERS

  1. Lulu Lemon Wunder Under Pant (Wow!)
  2. Black, or Dark colored wrap sweaters
  3. Tights: Black are a must & Pink if you want to dress like your students
  4. Nike or Tennis shoes for in between classes ( I run or walk on my breaks)
  5. Blazers
  6. Cardigans
  7. Pull over dress, pull over jumper, or wrap dress
  8. Leg warmers (They're just fun to wear!!)
  9. Well-fitted hoodie or warm-up jacket
  10. Yoga pants
  11. Great socks
  12. Dance shoes! I love the Bloch Adult Wave Sneaker $51.00 (Style No: S0523) from Discount Dance

DISCOUNT DANCE: ABOUT THE DANCE TEACHER PROGRAM 2013

  • Enjoy up to 10% discount on purchases
  • Free shipping on orders over $100*
  • Collect $1 cash back for every 2 points
  • 15% off on exclusive Double Platinum, Natalie and Dance Department items.
  • Special pricing on Theatricals footwear and tights

Dance teachers need to wear high-performance fabrics that don't break the bank or show sweat stains or hold odor.  Yet, we need to wear nice clothes that fit, and aren't the old college sweatpants we used to take class in...IF you are a Hip Hop teacher you should dress like a hip hop teacher.  However, sweatpants shouldn't be allowed on a ballet teacher, unless of course they say, "American Ballet Theater" down the leg.  Visit the ABT Gift Shop! 

The Wunder Under Pant: LuLu Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment