Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: Rubrics for Dance Teachers

POINTE 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog
Rubrics for Dance Teachers
By Brandy Curry

Remaining objective when grading dance performance is tricky business. You must give an equal opportunity for those dancers not as advanced as other dancers. However, your quiz or assessment must be fair and give students enough feedback so that they may improve whether they are a beginning dancer or an advanced dancer.

I use rubrics for grades K-12, and for all of my quizzes, tests, and of course final examinations.  I even use a rubric for short quizzes on choreography memorization.  I think that participation and memorization are the most important criteria for grading dance.  When my students are are Grades K-3 I adjust the importance of the criteria to attention and follows instructions.  Figure out what your end result is?  Do you want them to improve on vocabulary and terminology, is participation and cooperation your need for assessment?  I enlarge my rubric to 8 x 11 paper or poster size 11x17 and show my students the rubric prior to the test.  When I'm giving a final examination I post it in the classroom a day or two prior to their examination.

RESOURCES FOR RUBRICS
RubiStar 
Teacher Planet

Here is an example of a Rubric you can find at RubiStar.com 



5 comments:

  1. I love this post very much.please keep sharing of knowledges with us.
    lulu lemon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post very much.please keep sharing of knowledges with us.
    Echo aventura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JADE SIGNATURE!! Thank you so much for checking out my blog. I love talking about dance and sharing my thoughts and ideas with fellow educators and advocates. My blog officially launches this fall and I'm counting down the days to share it with the world. xoxo, Brandy Curry

    ReplyDelete
  4. please keep sharing of knowledges with us.Thanks a lot for your great posting.
    Icon brickell miami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Cheap Adult Leotards

    ReplyDelete