Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: Austerity vs Energy

POINTE 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog: Austerity vs Energy
By Brandy Curry

Debbie Allen in FAME Courtesy of Wikimedia


Put your rulers, spoons, popsicle sticks, pencils, and cane away! The generation of using objects in the dance classroom to "rear fear" is fading away.  My ballet teacher was as strict as she was beautiful.  Always polite, but oh-so stern.  I never knew how I faired in her class until she asked me to join the youth ballet company.  I was overwhelmed and shocked and excited, but a sense of panic set in that I would fail her.  I never saw her smile and I grew impatient with it.  Some might say I lacked the seriousness in my youth that compliments the austerities of a ballet teacher.  I think I just wanted to know she was pleased at my accomplishments.  Yes, I agree her attitude made me the dancer I am today, but it was my high-energetic jazz teacher whom kept me coming back and gave me the confidence to continue to dance.

The first few weeks are crucial in setting up classroom normals and expectations.  I have found a way to present myself as a stern and optimistic ballet teacher in order to achieve great technique from my dancers.  (Although, I occasionally use spoons, and popsicle sticks to demonstrate proper turnout...I'll blog about that later)

MY CLASSROOM NORMALS & EXPECTATIONS

  • List rules visibly in the classroom (Make a poster or have your students make a poster for extra credit)
  • List consequences clearly on your syllabi(us)
  • Make a contract for both your parents and students
  • List expectations of dress code on your syllabi(us)
  • Stick to your syllabi(us) and pacing plan(s)...and brag about it to other faculty! Knowing a performing arts teacher is serious about discipline shows a united front with Administration.
  • Smile, laugh, and tell cheesy dance jokes every once in a while! Be human! I have laughed with my students, cried with my students over dance films, it makes them want to dance forever.
  • Show them your rubric for assessments, quizzes and tests.  Prove to them that you expect them to get an "A" on an assessment and that you have confidence in them
  • Make general class corrections, and one-on-one corrections
  • Teach with passion, energy, and as though they are all pre-professional dancers.  Respect the best and the not so best dancer.  Give them all a chance to share their artistry.
  • DANCE WITH THEM!!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your great post. This blog is great
    Echo aventura sales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ECHO AVENTURA SALES! This is a topic that my faculty and I discuss often...to rule with an iron thumb or to be firm & fun! Thus far..FIRM & FUN have succeeded. xoxo, Brandy Curry

    ReplyDelete