Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: Music for K-12 Dance

POINTE 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog: Music for K-12 Dance
By Brandy Curry

When the music changes, so does the dance. - African proverb

Music shapes the flow, mood, and energy of my dance class.  Be it a movement class, ballet class, or modern class.  Classical music is the music I hear in my head when choreographing and that's why ballet is my favorite style of dance to teach.  I have found in recent years of teaching dance in education that sometimes I'm the one that introduces classical music or jazz music to my students.  After all these years I have finally uploaded all of my CD's to my iTunes.  I use iCloud for backup and storage. iCloud also keeps my music library up to date on all of my devices. Visit: iCloud.com and login with your Apple ID!

Here is a list of great Artists I have used teaching K-12 Dance in school.  

BY GRADE
Putumayo Animal Playground

Grades K-2nd
Putumayo for Kids
Lynn Stanford Classical Music
Enchanted Soundtrack
Kidz Bop 
Disneymania
Gwendolyn and the Good Time Gang
Johnny Only
Scott Killian Classical Kids



Grades 3rd-5th
Putumayo for Kids
Lisa Harris Classical Music 
High School Musical Soundtrack
Cheetah Girls Soundtrack 
Kidz Bop
Radio Disney 
Disneymania 
Aly & AJ
Taylor Swift
Shake it Up (Disney)
Wreck it Ralph Soundtrack

Selena Gomez Courtesy of Disney Music
Grades 6-8
Introduce pop and jazz music. Check lyrics of pop music before you play in your class. 
Carly Rae Jepsen 
Aly & AJ
Selena Gomez
Justin Bieber
Taylor Swift
Coco Jones
Bridgit Mender
Corinne Bailey Rae


Grades 9-12
Continue Pop Music, but feature an assessment unit on Jazz Music (Visit: PBS Kids)
Charlie Parker
Miles Davis
Billie Holiday
Movie Soundtracks w. Instrumental music
Adele
Coldplay
Steven Cravis
Imogen Heap
Frou Frou
Don Caron Classical Music
Lisa Harris Classical Music
Miro Magliore (Contemporary & Modern)
Michael Roberts (Contemporary & Modern)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you ECHO AVENTURA SALES! My blog will officially launch this Fall. I can't wait to share my love of dance with other educators. All the best this season in the arts! Brandy Curry

      Delete