Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: Netflix for Educators



Pointe 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog: Netflix for Educators 
By Brandy Curry 

I know that working in a public K-12 or an independent K-12 school is tricky when it comes to showing dance on film.  Most of the content is not suitable for children, and the sensuality and tone of the film is often misunderstood by teenagers.  Every summer I surf Netflix to find age-appropriate movies.  I plan on showing at least three (3) You Tube clips of dance and two (2) short films or movies as part of the Dance History component with are CA State Dance Content Standards.

I love Netflix
I love PBSkids.org
I love You Tube

These sites are great tv/film resources for educators.  We don't always have time to show a 2 hour film, but in Netflix you can put the movie in your instant cue and when you're ready to show it, hit play and fast forward to the dance sequence.  I only personally only show Rated-G content, and if I am going to show a movie that is PG-13, my students are 13 and older.  I send an email home to parents with an attached permission slip.  (Rated-R movies are simply out of the question, and always inappropriate.)  I use a different Netflix account for my classes than I do at home.  This allows me to organize the movies and short films in my instant cue and see what Netflix suggests for me.  Recently my class watched Ballets Russes on Netflix which was an exciting timeline of ballet history.



I subscribe to several different channels of ballet companies on You Tube.  I watch their videos and then play them for my dancers Grades 2nd-6th.  One clip we keep visiting on You Tube is of the Royal Ballet:

Sleeping Beauty Ballet Waltz - Royal Ballet


Royal Ballet at Covent Garden


No comments:

Post a Comment