Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: The Right College for Your Dancers

POINTE 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog: The Right College for Your Dancers
By Brandy Curry

When I became the Department Chair of Dance in 2011 at a performing arts school in Los Angeles one of my responsibilities was to help guide 12th grade dancers into the audition process of dance major university and college programs.  I flew to New York over Spring Break to seek out the small colleges first, and visit the prestigious NYU.  I knew I could get my students into the California schools having gone through the audition process myself but I wanted to see Pace University and Marymount Manhattan up close and personal.   I contacted each of the school's Admissions Department and scheduled a tour as an educator, not as a student.  You get essential information from the Admissions office if you schedule your tour as an educator.  I came back from my trip with an entirely new perspective on how to get my dance students ready for college auditions.

2013 DANCE COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES: My favorites!
Most programs require an audition or video audition submission
(In alphabetical order)


  1. Boston Conservatory
  2. California State University: Long Beach
  3. Chapman University
  4. Cornish College of the Arts
  5. Fordham University: The Ailey School
  6. Goucher University
  7. Julliard School
  8. Marymount Manhattan
  9. NYU Tisch Performing Arts: Dance
  10. Oklahoma City University
  11. Pace University 
  12. Point Park University
  13. Texas Christian University
  14. University of Arizona
  15. University of California: Irvine (UCI)
  16. University of California: Los Angeles (UCLA)
  17. University of North Carolina School of the Arts
  18. University of Oklahoma
  19. University of Texas: Austin
  20. University of The Arts

Marymount Manhattan Dancers in their 2012 Spring Repertoire

Dance Media LLC publishes a yearly college guidebook titled Dance Magazine College Guide.  (Copy/Paste into your browser: http://www.dancemagazine.com/thecollegeguide) Check it out online at Dance Magazine or Dance Spirit Magazine. 

Dance Magazine College Guide 2012-2013

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic post.Thanks Again. Fantastic.
    Echo sales center

    ReplyDelete