Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Dance Teacher Blog: Teaching Movement to Boys Grades K-3

Dance Teacher Blog
Pointe 5*6*7*8
Teaching Movement to Boys Grades K-3
By Brandy Curry

I love teaching dance to anyone age 18 months to 99, male or female, beginner to professional.  One of the most challenging assignments I've encountered over my years was getting my 2nd and 3rd grade boys to enjoy their time with me in the dance studio for Movement class.  They do well during the warm-up, during across-the-floor even, but when it comes to learning a combo they wouldn't have it-they wouldn't move!  I remember trying to figure out what was missing: were the moves too feminine, was the music too girly?  So, as an inclusive teacher  I decided to just ask them.  Sure enough it was the music they didn't connect to...  I took out a sheet of large adhesive poster paper and for a week I asked everyone in my classes to write down their favorite songs, favorite bands, etc.  The catch was that it had to be a song that we could dance to in Movement class, and a song that was age-appropriate.
 
"They were empowered.  I was inspired."


Then I took out another piece of paper and had them write down their favorite sports drills.  THEY LOVED THIS! From this I showed them how "quick feet" is really a chassé or gallop, how simple basketball, soccer and football practice drills are just like dance moves.  They were empowered.  I was inspired.  From then class was exciting for them and fun.  It's not my job to entertain them and make them have fun; I want them to learn about dance in the historic, societal and cultural sense, as a form of exercise, and as a performing art.  Keeping kids engaged and wanting to learn more should be every teachers' goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment