Search This Blog

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dance Teacher Blog: Dance + Technology #dancetechnology

POINTE 5*6*7*8
Dance Teacher Blog: Dance + Technology #dancetechnology
By Brandy Curry 


Today’s dancers are tech savvy, and fast at responding to emails.  Don’t be afraid to set up your classroom online and create a Virtual Classroom.  You can use Google Web pages, Wiki pages, Haiku, your School or Studio website.  I use Keynote to create Digital Flashcards with my iPad and Dance Games for my students. I put up Production and Rehearsal schedules, I create Facebook Groups and Pages for our shows.  I have even put up choreography notes and videos of in-class work prior to a lengthy Winter or Spring Break. 

Staying connected to your students in their medium is a great way to take your class to the next level.   And, trust me when I say their "medium" is blogging, tweeting, Facebooking, video editing, remixing...etc.! I also stay in touch with my dance parents via bi-weekly emails so that they know what to expect in terms of assessments, rehearsals, and productions.  I pretend that my classes are part of a  private studio. (See post: The Dream is Still Alive)  I give my dancers in my classes the same tender loving care I would if these students were signing up and paying for my lessons at a private dance studio.


TECHNOLOGY I LOVE
I use a MacBook Pro laptop, an iPad, a USB/Zip drive, and an iPod on a daily basis for my movement classes and my basic-advanced ballet classes.  I have taken courses and Professional Development Workshops on Technology.  While these courses seem solely ideal for the Math, and Science teacher, I have found useful information that I translate into a performing art academic.  See Teaching with Digital Media USC 

No comments:

Post a Comment